Los Angeles nightclub Union is rebranding as Catch One to celebrate its rich history as a safe-haven for LBGTQ people of color in LA.
The club originally opened as Jewels Catch One in 1973 by businesswoman and activist Jewel Thais-Williams. She had to keep it open though systemic racism, the AIDS epidemic, an arson attack and much more that attempted to take down one of the first black gay discos in the United States. It would host the likes of Madonna, Donnna Summer, Whitney Houston, Rick James and Luther Vandross over the years.
The rebrand ties the club back to that rich history and expands its palate for music on offering each night. It books events that feature music from heavy metal to hip-hop, dance and soul, funk, and jazz.
- There is no parking lot – you’ll have to park on the street nearby.
- Catch One still boasts it’s main ball-room dance floor upstairs – for the large EBM dance-parties and a large stage for the music acts to perform on.
- The Retro-Room on the ground level is a lot of fun, with the DJs performing behind a cage (giving it a little SNL Blues Brothers vibe!).
- And then there is the Power-Noize Room downstairs.
- There is also a HUGE outdoor patio with lots more seating, a patio bar with everything, and a place to get food as well!
Where is Catch One located?
Catch One is located in Arlington Heights on West Pico Blvd.
How much is cover charge at Catch One?
GA at the door really depends on the night and the talent. It can range from $20 to $50+.
How long will I have to wait at Catch One?
If you arrive during peak times you may have to wait 30-40 minutes.
When is Catch One open?
Catch One is open whenever they have events. There is no set times or days open.
What are the best nights to go to Catch One?
Fridays and Saturdays are generally the busiest, but it really depends what you’re interested in.
What is the dress code at Catch One?
Catch One is pretty casual.
Is there parking near Catch One?
There is street parking. No parking lot.
How much do drinks cost at Catch One?
Mixed drinks / cocktails are around $13-15, beers $7.
Who are the resident DJs?
Catch One brings in different bands, artists, and DJs on a weekly basis.
What kind of music do they play at Catch One?
Catch One features all kinds of music – live bands, hip hop, deep house, electronic, techno, etc.
Where can I find a list of upcoming events / DJs at Catch One?
You can download the Discotech app to see upcoming events, get on guestlists, book tables, and buy tickets for Catch One. You can also visit Catch One’s website for a current list of events.